Monday, November 28, 2005

A Poignant Tribute from a Little Brother, in Christ

While in Philadelphia for the quarterly meeting of Board and Executive Staff of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals (and it is a blessing just to be able to spend a little time with dear friends and mentors like Phil Ryken and Mark Dever and the rest of our happy little band - not to mention that Derek and I bumped into a bunch of First Churchers on the plane: Joel Fyke, Andrew Irby, Philip Sykes and more!), I received this beautiful tribute by our good friend Richard Wiman (Pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Belzoni, MS) to his departed brother -

Early Saturday morning, my brother, Sonny, died of a massive heart attack in his sleep. Sonny and I were the only surviving members of our immediate family. He was 12 years older than me and more than a big brother. I respected him more than words can express. Throughout my entire life, I have never felt like anything but a kid because I always had a big brother. Suddenly I now feel so old and alone, though I know in my head that I am not alone. I have a wonderful God who loves me and is holding me while I struggle with this hard providence. He has also surrounded me with a loving, caring family and church family that is beyond comparison this side of heaven. The Body of Christ is loving on me and on my brother's family, but our loss is deeply felt just now. My brother loved the Lord and sought to serve Him in his home church. I loved and respected him so much. I would really appreciate your prayers for us in these days. The funeral service will be this coming Tuesday in his home town of Brandon, MS. His wife's name is Joyce, and his two grown, married daughters are Dana and Sheri. Between them, they have five children, all of whom were the delight of their "Pop's" eyes.
With love and thanks for you,
Richard Wiman

No comments: