Saturday, August 26, 2006

Martyn Lloyd-Jones Love Note to Bethan

We have emphasized in our exposition of Ephesians 5:25, the importance of a Christian husband loving his wife by telling her, by declaring his love to her in words. MLJ provides an admirable example. HT: Geoff Thomas

"Bethan dear, you are dearer to me than ever and I feel prouder of you than ever before . . . All my love to you, my three beloved ones, and especially to the biggest of them . . . There is no one like you anywhere. The more I see of others the more obvious does this become . . . I would give all the world for you to be here with me . . . Well, my dear, dear love, the best wife and girl in all the world, receive every bit of my love . . . Thank you for your letter of this morning, though I am very angry that you should have been up until 11.30 p.m. writing it! I see that you are quite incorrigible. The idea that I shall become used to being without you is really funny. I could speak for a long time on the subject. As I have told you many, many times, the passing of the years does nothing but deepen and intensify my love for you. When I think of those days in London in 1925 and ’26, when I thought that no greater love was possible, I could laugh. But honestly during this last year I had come to believe that it was not possible for a man to love his wife more than I loved you. And yet I see there is no end to love, and that it is still true that ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder.’ I am quite certain that there is no lover, anywhere, writing to his girl who is quite as mad about her as I am."

That is Martyn Lloyd-Jones writing to his wife in 1939.

No comments: